Whatever your business we have the right insurance for you

Get a specialist contractors insurance quote

Get a quote

Professional Indemnity Insurance

CHAS Insurance has a number of special schemes for Professional Indemnity Insurance for all types of trade.

What does professional indemnity insurance cover?

You should consider taking out a professional indemnity (pi) insurance if your business gives advice or offers a professional service to another business. Professional indemnity insurance covers you if you are deemed to be negligent or make a mistake which causes a client's business to suffer a financial loss.

For example, were an architect to make a mistake in the plans for a construction project and it is only discovered once the building work is underway and the materials have been purchased, the client would be likely to lose money through time required for re-building and the cost of wasted materials. The architect would be liable for this cost.

Types of business that often take out professional indemnity insurance include accountants, IT consultants, business consultants, journalists, architects, financial advisors, engineers and many more.

An example of a claim:

An employee accidently sends an email containing confidential information to an incorrect party. The customer sues the firm for breach of confidentiality.

What did the insurance company pay?

The professional indemnity claim costing £35000 including legal costs was covered by the insurance policy.

What did the insurance not cover

A £250 excess plus the cost of loss of reputation of the firm and loss of future contracts from that customer.

What level of professional indemnity cover do you need?

In many cases your client will dictate the level of professional indemnity insurance that they require. Should this not be the case, it is always worth finding out their level of expectations with regards to professional indemnity insurance prior to taking on any work.

Details to look out for

  • Check for any exclusion on the policy.
  • Ascertain what level of cover your clients expect you to have.
  • Ensure that the policy includes legal expenses cover.

What type of cover do I need?

It's always best if we can advise you in this regard by us asking a few simple questions we can ascertain which type of policy will be best suited to your business. Our extensive experience in this marketplace means that we can advise you which type of policy is suitable for your particular industry, we can go through the process with you and ensure that you can have a policy that is best suited to your business.

Why CHAS Insurance?

CHAS Insurance scour the insurance market to identify specialist schemes that offer the right cover to our customers. We can offer you professional indemnity insurance suited to your business type at a price what will often surprise you.

With access to both the Composite Insurance Market and Lloyds of London, CHAS Insurance work hard to find our customers the right professional indemnity insurance at the right price. With flexible professional indemnity cover for every business sector, CHAS Insurance can help provide you with comprehensive, cost effective professional indemnity insurance, whatever your trade or industry.

Frequently Asked Questions

We are often asked repeated questions about our insurance products and the requirements that different business have. If you have a question about what we offer then the answer may be here. If you need more specific advice then please get in touch.

Read more

CHAS Insurance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is entered on the Financial Conduct Authority Register www.fca.org.uk/register under reference 594605. Registered address: 20 Market Hill, Southam, Warwickshire, England, CV47 0HF. Registered in England and Wales 08299252 | CHAS Insurance do occasionally sell products that are not regulated by the FCA.

Copyright © 2021 - CHAS Insurance

Chas Insurance has been supplied data pertaining to Chas Members by the operators of the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme. We have no business connection with CHAS / the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme. CHAS / the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme receive no payments from Chas Insurance.